The History Of
The city of Giannitsa is on the Egnatia Road (Via
Egnatia) The ancient Via Egnatia was the extension into Greece of the Via Appia which
linked Rome to Brindisi,
and is next to drained lake of Giannitsa. In the resent years was built by the Ottomans in
1380. The name means "New City" But the linguist George Hatzidakis concluded
that the name is derived by the Greek language from the name Giannis.
Resent findings show that the area of Giannitsa was inhibited from the 7th century A. D
during the Bronze and Iron era. There were discoveries of ancient buildings in the
villages of Pentaplatano and Arhontiko.
During the Byzantine era and on Egnatia Road in the middle of Giannitsa were discovered
many old homes, and the area possibly was called Vardari.
Giannitsa were Holly City to the Moslems because the Turkish general Hatzi Ebrenos and his
descendants were buried there. The city in the 19th Century was occupied by 7,500 Moslems
and 5,600 Christians.
During 1904 - 1908 the lake of Giannitsa was the stage in the Greek and Bulgarian
The city was liberated by the Greek forces on October 20, 1912, during the first world war
after a two day fierce fight with ottoman forces.
During the 1922 Giannitsa received many immigrants that came from Turkey during the
population exchange thus sparked an economic growth in the area.
During the German occupation many resident joint the resistance against Germany.
On September 14, 1944, the Germans killed 120 resident and burned most of the city in
retaliation. The city was liberated from the Germans October 18, 1944.
The population of Giannitsa is 30,000 people.
|To Mauro Agalma (The Black Statue)
|Potamos Loudias (Loudias River)
|Pezodromio (The Side Walk)
Palio Nosokomio (The Old Hospital now
The City Hall)